Saturday, April 28, 2012

Can You Say Myoclonus?

Can you say Myoclonus? Having a bit of an issue with it this evening, and last night trying to fall sleep. It makes me so damn mad, it’s just annoying!  Are you just dying to know what it is? Well here it goes…

Myoclonus refers to a quick, involuntary muscle jerk. For example, hiccups are a form of myoclonus. So are the sudden jerks, or "sleep starts," you may experience just before falling asleep. These forms of myoclonus occur in healthy people and rarely present a problem.

Most often, you hear of myoclonus as a symptom of a nervous system disorder, such as epilepsy, Parkinson’s, Multiple Sclerosis or of a metabolic condition, or as a reaction to a medication.

People with myoclonus often describe the symptoms as "jerks," shakes" or "spasms" that are:

  • Sudden
  • Brief
  • Involuntary
  • Shock-like
  • Variable in intensity and frequency
  • Localized to one part of the body or all over the body
  • Sometimes severe enough to interfere with eating, talking or walking

It’s not like this is the first time I have had them, it is just for a longer period of time. I’m sure my husband is tired of hearing “god damnit” come out of my mouth every time my leg jerks. It has just been my right leg as of late, but I remember when I was first showing MS symptoms both legs would do it at night. Nothing like laying in bed trying to fall asleep when out of nowhere you keep getting these electrical shocks and legs jerking uncontrollably. I’m sure I was a sight to behold, just picture…laying on my side trying to drift off and BAM, I now look like a fish (or maybe I should say Mermaid, it sounds sexier) flailing about.

Now,  this evening all kicked back in my recliner, my right leg apparently has a mind of it’s own, or is it that my mind has a lesion of it’s own? Pretty sure it is the latter of the two, I just love all the little misfiring’s going on in my brain, makes for an adventurous life. (Said with so much sarcasm)

1 comment:

  1. I have enjoyed reading your articles. It is well written. It looks like you spend a large amount of time and effort in writing the blog. I am appreciating your effort. You can visit my website.
    relief from back spasms

    ReplyDelete