Sunday, August 14, 2011

Tonsillectomy/Uvulectomy Recovery

Well this is the first day since my surgery that I have felt decent enough to spend anytime on the computer. It has been quite the roller coaster of pain and emotions.

Thursday 8/4/2011- “The Big Day”, we had to be at the surgery center by 11:15am , with a surgery time of 12:15pm. They took me back to have me change into my beautiful gown and put on my even more attractive surgical cap. Then the nurse did my IV to get some fluids going.  After she was all done with me she went out to tell Jeff, my sister Cari that they could come back and sit with me. To my surprise, Christine (Jeff’s cousins wife) who works at the Clinic came down to visit with us as well.

After all the different doctors came in to talk to us about the surgery, they finally shewed Jeff, Cari and Christine out and took me off to surgery. As I was laying there on the table, I was growing more and more anxious, I was so thankful when Dr. Feelgood, as I called him, came in to knock me out. (panic attack avoided)

After waking up, the nurse brought me two Percocet to take. I really wasn’t feeling to bad at this point. I was just very tired and so happy to see Jeff and Cari.

We didn’t hang out for much longer and headed home.

After arriving at home, I was starving! Believe it or not, I had very little pain and made scrambled eggs. Christine surprised me once again by showing up later that evening with popsicles. So lucky to be in the same family as her. I was still hungry around 10:00pm or so, decided it was PANCAKE TIME! It was delicious.

Friday-Monday- Still not feeling too bad, between liquid ibubrofen and liquid percocet, it was all very tolerable and I was thinking, “ Hey this isn’t too bad at all.” Aside of the severe hunger pains, Thursday through Monday was ok. I did however have to sleep in the recliner.

Tuesday- Oh Tuesday, what a nightmare you have brought me! So nauseous, and so much pain in my throat and ears. A day spent throwing up and on the verge of tears is NOT my idea of a good time. If someone would have offered to put me out of my misery, I probably would have taken them up on it. I think the only time I left the recliner was to go to the bathroom. At this point even water didn’t want to stay down.

Wednesday-Woke up feeling so much better, at least I was no longer nauseous. I can’t wait for the night when I can cuddle up with my husband in bed again and stay there for the whole night. Laying flat puts such pressure on my ears that I gave up sleeping in the bed days ago. Not that I really get to sleep anyway. I can’t go but 30-45 minutes at a time without hydrating, otherwise my throat and ears REALLY hurt. I can see areas in my throat that no longer have a scab on it and it is just raw and red, those are the areas that hurt the most right now. Forget anything cold at this point because it is like razor blades.

Thursday-Sunday-It’s been about the same, the pain comes in waves in my throat and ears. I have managed to eat a beef and cheddar from Arby’s Saturday, not and easy task to get it down but I needed some solid food.  I guess the worst has been that my ears are killing me. Last night I couldn’t even recline to sleep because the further back I went the worse the pain and pressure in my ears got. I really just don’t have the patience for this recovery shit. I want to be able to eat my favorite foods and guzzle a beverage. Sips of anything is a chore to get down. I still can’t do cold at all because it’s like flames going down. Now I know what a fire eater must feel like.

I know I shouldn’t be complaining, it could all be so much worse, but damn it, I have seemed to miss out on so much this week. I know all of this will be worth it in a few weeks once I am fully recovered. The fact that I am able to sleep in the recliner, being flat on my back says a lot. Before, I would be waking myself up gasping for air from my throat blocking off my air supply. I am looking forward to that first pain free night of cuddling with my wonderful husband and sleeping like a baby,  ALL night !

No comments:

Post a Comment